ASD and Rocky Mtn. Horses

Rachel Boyce rhammond@students.uiuc.edu
I have received a few private e-mails regarding my post a couple of weeks ago about RMH--so I will post to Ridecamp what I have been replying to these people:

I have been told by several professors here at vet school that RMH have an increased incidence of eye problems including ASD.  It that is not true, I have been misinformed, and I apologize.

If it is true that RMH have a HIGHER incidence of ASD (I never said they were all affected) than any person considering purchasing one of these horses should be aware of the possibility that the animal MAY be affected.  If you reread my post I never said she shouldn't buy one of these horses--I said she should have a veterinary ophthalmologist check it for eye problems first.  I also never made any statements regarding their behavior or temperament or suitability as a riding horse.  I have no personal experience with these horses (which I stated before) and make no statements either way about whether they are good horses.

If someone was looking at a halter quarter horse and asked my opinion, I would say check for HYPP, if someone was looking at an off the track standardbred, I would say check for OCD--not because all such horses are affected by these disorders, but because the breed has a predisposition to them that potential owners should be aware of.

I am truly sorry for offending RMH fanciers--I have received numerous testaments to how wonderful they are--that's great--I think I'll stick with Arabians (yes--I am aware they have problems too).  I only meant to alert the potential buyer to a POSSIBLE problem.

Rachel Boyce

P.S. I would also appreciate it if my integrity and ability as a future veterinarian was not questioned anymore--I am merely repeating what I have been taught.