re: kicking out

Teresa Van Hove tvanhove@uswest.net
Terri,

MHO - if this horse is kicking when you are mounted and at other
Mounted horses it is Just as Bad as kicking directly at people and
you'd better nip it in the bud.  I almost (was 50 yds back and
behind a rise) witnessed a horse break a riders leg at my 1st
endurance ride this summer- the resulting compound fracture was
not a pretty sight and that riders season was shot.  Later on that
same horse kicked at me and my mount and the rider did nothing.
If it would have been my horse I'd have beat the piss out of it
at that point - probably would have been too shocked at the time
of the actual bone breaking to react.  Not that you have to beat
the piss out of your horse but I would certainly give her a verbal
warning for laying her ears back and a good swat with a crop for
kicking - you need to make clear to this horse that she is not
allowed to kick when people are around - I have found that horses
are plenty smart enough to learn that all people are alpha to them
and they are not allowed to kick, shove, or otherwise try to assert
dominance when people are around, they learn to restrict that
behavior to the pasture when the horse owner enforces the rules.

Teresa