RC: bucking, running off - help me!!

Sonya,
There are some in this group who won't like my answer. What you describe
was my situation to a "T" when I took my just started mare out on trails
with the same tack I used in the ring. Are you using a snaffle? I was.
Friends recommended a bit with more action. I resisted that suggestion
for months until I got tired of it all. I put a non-jointed uxeter
kimberwicke (I use a running martingale and don't like using a jointed
bit with it) in her mouth, long-lined her a few times from the ground
before I got on to let her get used to the poll and curb pressure. (Very
glad I did that. the first time she resisted my "whoa" and I let her run
into the bit... kapow!! Be very careful to use soft hands and release
the pressure!) I used the top slot at first, not wanting to accidentally
hurt her when she forgot what she had in her mouth. The kimberwicke
worked to get her attention back on me, my arms don't get sore and I
have fingertip control on trail (most of the time). I still have to
circle her to get her attention back on me every now and then, but I can
live with that. She still gets jacked out of shape occasionally, but I
can get her to come back to me with leg yields, turning, half-halts,
etc. I don't use the bit for brakes, but I do use it to get her
attention. I use it less and less as she becomes more mature and builds
confidence. With the uxeter kimberwicke, I can change the action of the
bit from the saddle depending on how much her panties are in a wad that
day.

A lot of it is just youthful exuberance.

Lest you think it will ruin her mouth, I have now switched to using a
french link snaffle for ringwork with the hopes of being able to use it
on trail too.

Regarding the bucking, I suggest not riding out with people who will
take off on you until your horse will listen to you unless you can ride
through the bucks. Been there. No fun. When you've put enough saddle
time in and your mare listens to you enough not to put you in danger,
it's good for them to see another horse take off without them.

Regarding not going out on trails by herself: do you go for a "leads"
instead of a "rides"? I did lots and lots of that the first 9 months
"under saddle". Lots. And lots. I will not tolerate a herd bound animal,
especially since no one I know has my riding schedule. Make going out on
trail a pleasurable experience with lots of treats, stopping to graze,
etc. We would meet up with herd buddies and they would leave us, my
horse would get jacked out of shape, but she got over it. (Peppermints
are a great diversion.) So now I have a horse a year under saddle, just
shy of 5 who not only goes out 2 or 3 times a week by herself, but who
will let her buddies leave her (with coaxing) and can pass buddies on
trail (again, with coaxing).

Rx: lots of treats, keep things calm, make it pleasureable, don't set
her up for failure (design confidence building successes). Smell the
roses. (sigh) Hindsight is 20/20... wish I would've done this and
swatted with my riding crop less....

Regarding whether your horse will be welcome if she acts like this....
you're kidding, right? No one likes an OOC horse, but all of 'em (except
the "old pros") get excited at a ride.

Deanna (Ohio)

Sonya wrote:
>>Please help!!  My Arab mare, 6, is just now being
worked for the first time in her life. i have had her
for one year, but i was pregenant, and now i am
working her in the  ring.  In the ring, she is
learning to collect, relax, and to yeild to leg aids
beautifully.  However, when i take her out on the
trial, she forgets everything, and she will bolt,
buck, and not slow down.  she rides on horse's tails,
and she will not slow down if the other horses trot.
She will not go on the trails by herself.    i feel
like i am hanging on her mouth, or sawing the bit, or
turning her around to get control.  Will she improve?
How can i help her to get used to other horses, to
riding how i tell her to, and to stop bucking if she
wants to run?  I want to ride endurance with her, but
i think that she will not be welcome like this!!

>>she eats 3/4 scoop 14% strategy, 3-4 flakes of hay (2
x day) and she plays in the pasture, 5 acres every
day.  i ride her at night for an hour or two.