Re: Alpha mare

Laugh if you like but I am experiencing something similar with my
STALLION...maybe he has PMS?  I can't wait to experience what you describe
with my guy, Laura.  He likes to ride with his buddy, Max and lately I have
taken him out by himself and he gets obnoxious and finds excuses NOT to go
alone...he doesn't like the bit or the hackamore or the saddle or the
direction in which we are going and he loves to do what I call the Pepe Le
Piuew (can't spell French worth a darn but you know what I mean) bounce or
perhaps it's the Tigger bounce, I'm not sure.  It's not bucking or anything
that will harm me but it's as if he's saying "There, take that!  How do you
like THAT, lady?".  My daughter thinks it's quite funny and I am sure it
looks that way but after awhile it's infuriating!!  So, I have been doing
what you suggested...when he decides to "play" like this, we WORK.  He does
it less and less now and if he does, it's very short lived and he comes to
his senses quickly.  Our rides alone are starting to be serene and FUN for
both of us...he is 5 and I know it will take awhile for us to get that
closeness that you described...it's almost like a teenager and a parent
relationship at this point.  Hopefully as he matures, he will think I am
smarter and will listen better!!  :)  Isn't it fun though starting from
scratch though?  Yeah, right!!!  :)
Maggie Mieske
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, MI 49657