Public Lands: Is bigger better?

   With the fires raging our west, and with other management problems that
seem
to come up every month, I thought this article was very timely.  I'm amazed
that the Federal Land Managers tell us all the time that they do not have
enough money to maintain the trails we have. Yet, here we have a case being
made for more land to be managed with the same funds. In other words, we will
have even fewer funds in the future for trail maintenance.  As sure as I am
siting at this computer, you will then see the Feds close more trails due to
lack of funding or what ever excuse they may come up with.  It seems to me, we
have a disaster brewing in Washington D.C.  So what to do? Demand more funding
for our trails and the public lands we now have. That is if you want access to
the Federal Lands in the next 20 to 50 years.   Jerry Fruth, Chairman-AERC
Trails Committee>