Re: RC: Portable Corrals and Arabian Stallion

Karen,

I use an electric fence, double white tape at the top & about a foot lower.
I was lucky to find 48" poles.  I've used this system for 3 yrs of
competitions.
However . . .
I introduced my stallion to a stretch of electric tape in the middle of his
pasture when he was a week old.  His dam & his gelding pasture mate are very
respectful of the tape, so he also learned from them.
I also trailered him when he was 2 to a friend's house & set up inside a
paddock area where he could see her horse 2 paddocks over and tested the
system.  He was pretty excited, but respected the fence.  As he got older, I
trailered out to meet friends & set up the fence.  His first couple of
competitions he had his experienced dam with him.
The only problem I had was when another stallion got out of his metal fence
(the owner didn't secure 2 of the panels together).  My stallion was the only
other horse in the area so of course, we got a visit from the loose stallion.
 Fortunately, no one got hurt, but that was quite a scare!
I tie yellow flagging tape on the poles to alert folks that a stallion is
contained in the electric fence, always have a ribbon in his tail & also one
tied under the halter.  I also am careful to park next to geldings and also
check if my neighbors are ok with having a stallion next door.  Usually folks
are ok, sometimes new riders would prefer not to have a stallion next door,
but if the stallion behaves, you will soon find you are welcome at rides.

Good luck,
Nancy
Md