Re: stumbling responses

bsdavis@kansas.net said:
>I'm going to bring him to my english riding instructor to evaluate MY
>Riding, saddle position, and his way of going after shoes are on,

If your english instructor is a dressage instructor, this would be fine for
evaluating your position for riding long distances.  If the instructor is a
flat work/jumping type english instructor, beware.  AP saddles, and jumping
(forward seat) saddles often tend to be placed a bit further forward than
your standard dressage or endurance saddle.  First thing I usually have to
do with students who have had prior riding experience with an "english"
instructor is move the saddle back a couple of inches.  Also, english
instructors tend to have you bent forward during most of your riding.  You
should only be bent forward a little when you're in the two-point position
(a bit more during an uphill climb.)  Too much forward bend is not good for
a long stretch.  Also, you should always be in a position that, if the
horse were to magically disappear out from under you, you would land on
your feet and maintain your balance.  In other words, whatever you can do
while you're standing and staying balanced, you could do that position in
the saddle.  If you couldn't stand on the ground in the position you're
sitting on the saddle, you are not balanced.

>Oh, we are also going on a diet.  He's lost 3" around girth area already,
>but I think he must still be too fat. I'm sure will get good opinions of his
>condition from above group of folks.  So we are going to cut work load and
>go slower.

Yes...lots and lots of walking, especially up and down hills.  If there is
somewhere wooded that you can wander around trees, this can be an excellent
exercise in bending...but be sure that you are using your body correctly
and turning your torso with the bend -- otherwise he will go around the
bends very stiffly.  You need to work the muscles on *all* parts of his
body -- including the lateral ones.  If you lunge the horse, use loosely
applied balancing reins (not side reins or draw reins -- the horse can lean
on them and subsequently develop the underside muscles (not what you want)
-- balancing reins are also called German sliding reins.)  Make sure he
works a bit bent towards the inside of the circle and in total control (and
lunge in a *minimum* of a 60' circle...bigger is even better here.)  Out of
shape horses will tend to rush if they get going to quickly for their
abilities in self-carriage.  If he starts to rush, go back to a nice slow
controlled speed.  Keep it easy to moderate, well controlled, and fun...and
be patient!  It will probably take 1-2 years of slow steady work.

Good luck.  And don't forget those cavalettis.  <g>

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.