Re: RC: Re: RE: buck-o-rama

Actually, Tom, I'm not surprised you don't agree, but the racing industry
makes many of their own problems with horses. I have worked with quite a few
different breeds, started more young horses than I care to count at this
point, and managed barns besides having my own small breeding program. With
all of them I have dealt with, only one would I send for dog food, he just
was a rotten horse and no reason for it. That's a damn small percentage with
over hundreds of horses of varying ages, backgrounds, and breeds. And I've
been hurt by a few, but except for a very few. most could have been avoided
and so chalk it up to human error. Animals cannot do for themselves like
humans, so it is up to us to be responsible in what happens to them and not
just discard something because it is inconverient or didn't turn out the way
it was planned.

A good example happened near me last year, at the Penn National racetrack.
The track went on strike ,and lefta lot of owners trying to find new digs
for horses. Well, guess what? 1,000 young TB's were slated to go New Holland
for slaughter. I helped 3 different rescue groups save around 300, another 3
were saved by having their fees paid at the track by someone, and the other
400 didn't make it. There was nothing wrong with these animals, young, good
health, some were consistant money winners. Didn't matter, they got dumped.
This is why I get angry when everyone decides glibly to just get rid of
them.  They are the victims, we should know better. What a damn waste.

You and I will never agree on this issue, so let's just drop it. Overall, I
always respect your opinion, just not this time.

Helga Loncosky
Archival Morgan Record
http://home.att.net/~a_m_r/index.html
Beacon Morgan Horses, Ltd.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/5292/
hblmh@ptd.net
No heaven can heaven be, if my horse isn't there to welcome me.

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.