Fw: stumbling horse

Title: stumbling horse

----- Original Message -----
From: Sandy Bolinger
To: Bob Davis
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: stumbling horse

sherry-  do not dispair!!!If your horse is over weight, it is going to take allot of long slow miles to get him where he starts to feel strong all the time---sounds to me like you have a panter....panting isn't necessarily a bad thing---for some horses it's just another way for them to help with the cooling off process...my daughter has a morab mare---came in 10th on the Tevis a couple of years ago---she'll start panting 20 minutes into a ride if its really hot...the fact that you've been riding him lots without shoes--could be part of the problem---maybe he is foot sore--being foot-sore all the way around can also cause him to seem pokey...how long are his toes???before the shoer comes, look at the bottom of his foot---how many inches is it from the tip of his frog to the front edge of his hoof?????My daughter also owns an arab gelding who she got as a four year old and had never been ridden..he stumbled so bad for the first three years that she almost got rid of him..worked hard on getting the shoeing just right---did lots of dressage type work---spent hours walking over dead-fall etc---she wouldn't sell him for the world now-  You should work on getting his shoeing just right(natural balance), LOTS of long SLOW distance conditioning..and put him on a diet..this ,of course, is my most humble opinion...good luck..