NC50-A Florida Prespective

Actually this should be captioned A Florida Prespective or "What to do when
your Florida horse has never seen a rock before..."

This is quite actually a very tough letter to write.  Having been an avid
reader of ridecamp for a while I am not one to actually join in with my own
personal experience so ridecampers be gentle...this will be probably my
first and last time at doing this.

I must explain something first about myself, less then four months ago, out
of the blue, I was diagnosed with a pretty good cancer, underwent radical
surgery, got most of my innards cut out, found that the cancer had spread to
my lymph nodes and one lung and then was welcomed into the wonderful world
of chemotherapy where I spend 6-8 hours every 21 days being turned into a
toxic waste dump in the hopes of turning the tide against this parasite that
has invaded my body.  All the while my wonderful oncologist, Dr. Neil
Finkler from Orlando, Florida planned all my chemo treatments around my
training and ride schedule.  It came to my immediate notice after this
diagnosis(I'm quick this way) that my life had really altered (to say the
least) and goals and plans had to be rearranged and reprioritized.  One of
those goals was qualifying for the National Championship ride (which was
done) and the other was actualizing that goal by my boyfriend and I loading
up our two Florida sand horses and traveling from Altoona, Florida to Ft.
Stanton, New Mexico.

After receiving my ride packet with the description of the course from ride
management it did not take me long to figure out that this would indeeed be
a challenge..come on...a mountain is a mountain, elevation is a given and
rocks...well they kinda come with the territory along with steep ascents and
even steeper descents.  I will give you this...I was unprepared for all the
rocks and if you think I was unprepared for the rocks, you should have seen
the look on my horse.  Yes there were rocks everywhere...big rocks, fat
rocks, sliding rocks, rocks hiding other rocks, rocks rolling down on other
rocks, horse leg grabbing rocks and always me falling down in the rocks, but
through it all my "brown-eyed" girl "Sadie" (very wide eyed at all those
monster rocks)slowly, carefully, quietly and very cautiously picked her way
down that descent.  Yes, I was scared, my horse had practically no
experience on hills, let alone "MOUNTAINS" but down that mountain the two of
us came, she far more gracefully then I.  We came down tired but sound,
energized by the sheer challenge of it all, astounded by the beauty and
grateful to be part of the whole experience.  Was the trail tough? You
betcha!  Did I expect differently, no, not really...do I ever want to see a
rock again?  Most empathically NO!!!! and by the way, when I got home the
first thing I did was throw away my pet rock...

I may or may not have the chance to take place in another championship ride,
this is not being maudlin, but realistic, its the way life goes, but I do
know that this was a true "Endurance" experience and in my humble opinion,
what a National Championship ride is all about.

My hat is off to everyone who made this ride possible.  I felt as if ride
management took every care and regard to the well being of both horse and
rider from the awesome vets they had on site to the wonderful chuck wagon
food provided for everyone.  This was definently a team effort, and once
again in my opinion, an outstanding job was done by all.

In closing, I need to thank my wonderful crew...headed up by Ed Oathout,
from Pittman(just north of beautiful downtown Altoona)Florida, who drove
from Florida to be "Crew Boss" in his beautiful new F350.  There is probably
no one in this world I respect more or a friend I cherish as much..words
escape me..you are simply the best!  To my 3 sisters(perhaps not sisters by
blood, but more importantly, sisters of the heart) who flew in from 3
different locales..Donna West from Orlando, Fl., Sandy West Pegram from
Birmingham, Al., and Lyndy West Payne from Gerald, Mo.
Everything we have all gone through paled in comparison to the strength and
love I felt radiating from the three of you when I was coming down that
mountain and to Joby (who opted to pull his horse due to a stone bruise at
mile 25)who came into my life when I was whole and who has chosen to stay
through all this nightmare because in his eyes, I am still the same woman
(albeit bald, no eyebrows, eyelashes, etc.) that I was.  With his strength,
support and love he has made this difficult time in our lives a challenge to
be welcomed head on and beaten.  Last but certainly not least, to "Sadie" my
brown-eyed girl..one of my main reasons for living.....GOOD JOB!!!!

Annette Fantasia Aerc M17690 and Falanas Saeeda (aka "Sadie") H28314
Southeastern Division from the proud State of Florida
11th place Featherweight Divison
National Championship Ride Ft. Stanton, New Mexico August 2000