RE: rescue services

Now, we are being dramatic.  Helicopters standing by?  I know of a woman
who had her horse helicoptered out of the American River Canyon after
a pleasure ride accident.  (My ex's barn was the venue of the "911" show
interview because she boarded her horse there after the accident.) I'm
SURE that she didn't have that helicopter standing by just to rescue her
horse.

So the rescue helicopter was somewhat available for her and she ended up
paying a lot of money herself for the rescue.  It's just having the
the network of such available resources is the question here and knowing
how to contact them.  You may be right.  It probably was 911 to
coordinate it all.  I think that somewhere the ride management mentions
that some of the canyons are inaccessible by helicopter.  And then of
course, if you do not know where the horse really is and if it's still
alive, a helicopter is probably not really the answer!

I was at the Fireworks ride where the Felton (Fire Dept?) had a horse
model in a sling - I guess to garner some financial support for their
organization to be able to buy horse rescue devices.  It was kinda cool
to see that there are people and organizations out there that care.
The Fireworks ride is not a dangerous ride and acccess is real easy
throughout the whole course, but some of the other areas of the
Santa Cruz Mountains are tricky.  This kind of "advertisement" made
me more aware that there ARE resources out there and that they should
be supported by riders as much as possible.

Kathy