Warming up...

Just reading the thread on RC..yeah I have been rather vocal lately since I
have actually had time to think about riding.
warming up before a ride..was wondering how much riding does a person do
before the endurance ride itself.
When was first interested in endurance I was helping a friend work her
horse. I would ride her according to directions during the morning and  she
would ride at evening. it was a 30 minute work out for me at walk and light
trots. Friend would work her harder later in the evening.
The week before she was to compete she would only lounge the horse 20 min in
the morning and ride lightly at night. She said she was Peak and didn't want
to harm her... HUH????????
I would ride during the morning and even at the hottest part of the day
since work conflicted. I rode this way with an exception of the day before
we traveled. I did light riding the night before the ride. I  feel I have
had great results with no problems. I would begin with about 10 minutes of
walking and then walk trot up rocky hill for about 40 min. Then we would
canter trot and walk for another 2 hours. This was my regemin (sp) for 3
days a week the other 2 work conflicting I would ride for about an hour
during the noon hour.
now you be the judge here.....Both horses have competed well both have had
no metabolic problems. both only 25milers.
Question... If a person was to continue riding both horses as listed
above... which horse will last in the long run? what would you change about
each scenario? What do you like about each Scenario? Just a couple of
questions I would love to have answered. I am betting the the long haul of
things my mare would have with standed more. and Have less problems. Where
as the other mare would start tying up more.
Carla (yet more mindless pondering)
Ansata (did she say 40 min of climbing at walk and trot???)
haley (nah it was an hour of cantering up hill on rock infested boogers)
Rob ( what more mindless pondering?)