Re: RC: Weanling needs surgery

In a message dated 08/09/2000 10:30:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< At first we thought it was the way they were wrapped
 >around him inside his mother but it has been 3 weeks and the one leg is
 >still very crooked, almost knock-kneed.  I would like to see someone take
 >this baby and get the legs repaired....I do believe it can be done. >>

Sarah or anyone interested:

Without seeing this foal, is it possible that a simple periosteal stripping
procedure could alleviate this problem?  I had a foal born with both front
legs very crooked.  He was EXTREMELY knock kneed.  The periosteum on the
outside of each knee was cut to alleviate the tension.  My responsibility was
daily wrapping of those knees--a tough job with an exuberant colt.  And he
had to stay confined for at least a month (don't remember exactly how long).

The best part of this story, and the reason I responded, is this very crooked
legged foal became a well-known endurance horse.  His name was USA Top Star,
and before his tragic death this May, he had matured into a 100 mile champion
and best condition favorite.

Minor crooked legs often correct themselves and can be helped along with
frequent and careful hoof trimming.  Legs that are too far out of line can be
repaired fairly simply in many cases.  Don't give up on this colt.

Debi Gordon