Re: RC: Help with Heartrate Monitor

IRMurphy@aol.com wrote:

> I am looking for help with a heartrate monitor.  Any suggestions would be great.
>
> I am using the band type monitor.  I have purchased the belt to fit my horse but I have been unsuccesful in obtaining a consistent reading.   Things I have already tried are 1) lubricating the electrodes to create a better contact

You have to "lubricate" the horses skin, not the electrodes. Try Aloe Vera gel (haven't tried myself, but all you US-rider told me it works ;-).

> 2) holding the watch close consistently to the electrodes

Hold the watch near the TRANSMITTER, often seen in the middle between both electrodes.

> 3) checking to see that all equipment functions by putting the monitor on myself (with the human size belt) and saw that it worked correctly

You have to change the belt??? (Just joking...)

> , 4)moved to different locations

Don't move to different locations, it's too expensive just to get that HRM work :-}. Try to locate the electrodes near to where you normally take pulse with the stethoscope, one a bit "deeper", the other one a bit "higher".

> 5) verified that the horse does indeed have a heartbeat.

That's essential to get a proper reading.

> So, if someone could let me know where they are placing the bands and any techniques that I could use to get a reliable reading please let me know.  Preferably private email since I sometimes miss the digest version.
>
> Thanks,
> Irene
> Passion (are you moving that belt again!!!)

I personally didn't like the belt version, have better and steadier results with the old fashioned transmitter + wire + electrodes. In all the horses I have seen with the belt version there are irregular readings, IMO caused by a slipping belt. The distance of the electrodes in the belt is designed for human use, not for horses. This itself can lead to improper readings.

Hope this helps,

Wolfgang (riding for more than 8 years with a HRM from Roger R., bought at the booth of Teddy Lancaster in Barcelone at the WEC 1992)
Germany