National Championship

Well, I'm just now writing about the NC ride because I've just made the long
1650 mile trip home.  First of all, I keep seeing that NO horses were treated
at the NC ride and unfortunately that is not true.  My horse had to be
treated for metabolic tie up at the first vet check.  The vets were
absolutely, positively the best vets I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
Twelve hours after treatment, my horse was still peeing very, very dark.
Barney Fleming and Jamie Kerr conferred and decided to run a blood panel.
They had the ability to read results within 15 minutes after pulling blood.
The electrolyte levels were balanced and within normal parameters, kidney
function was good and hydration was good (he drank about 15 gallons
throughout the afternoon in addition to the 4 liters IV'd.) So they decided
to administer Lasix.  It took until Monday morning for the muscles to appear
and feel "normal" again.  I have blood and serum from Friday night to have
run for CPK's and to check against current CPK levels now.
Not sure just what to do at this point, but Matty sure was glad to be home.
He ran circles around his "buddy" for an hour after he got off the trailer.
I really felt that he was a good traveler and camper all the way out to NM
(from NE Ohio). We arrived in NM two full days early and rode lightly
Wednesday and Thursday.  Vetted in with all A's and an A- on skin pinch.  I
fell my biggest mistake was at the start of the ride getting caught up with
the adrenalin surge and not taking it a little easier right at the beginning.
 I WON'T make that particular mistake again.

In spite of our less than stellar performance in the ride itself, I had a
wonderful time camping and meeting everyone. Putting faces with names on
ridecamp.  I met and talked with Jerry Fruth, got the see the incredible
"Irene" (First in overall 100, First HW, and overall BC) Management went to
great lengths to make this a Championship caliber ride and I think they
suceeded.  I didn't expect it would be easy and it shouldn't have been.  This
was a wonderful experience and I felt well cared for.  Endurance is a very
caring community and I feel lucky to be a part of it.
We're going to try again for next year.  Kentucky's not so far away from Ohio
so watch out for KS Mateef and Sallie Sullivan from Ohio.

Sallie and Matty (really glad to be home)
AERC #15099