Update on Billy

As many of you know, I purchased a nice CMK gelding, Belizair (Belesemo
Trad x Naliza), from Michael Bowling this last year.  "Billy" is a smart,
very sensitive horse and, because of this, we felt it incredibly important
to go slowly and steadily with his training in order to preserve maximum
brain. ;-)  He had been ridden some before I got him, but was still very
green!

Billy spent his first couple of months of training here doing lots of
ground work (learning to stand still, listen, lunge like a pro, and so on)
followed by about 4 months of arena dressage work and more ground work.
Aarene (student/boarder/riding buddy/ridecamp lurker <g>) started working
with him about 4 1/2 months ago to learn "sensitive green horse" education,
help out my busy schedule, and have the opportunity to compete on him next
year.

Billy's arena work was followed by several trips down our road (dogs, big
trucks, kids on trampolines, bicycles, and so forth) and a couple of times
up into the hills behind our farm.  He did so well we felt it was time to
introduce him to a little more challenge.  Yesterday he had his *first*
trailer trip to the Tree Farm (our very nice training area) and his first
time encountering steep(ish) terrain, creeks, thick brush, and lots of
uneven ground.  Blaze (believe it or not!) was the School Master and Billy
watched him (and everything else <g>) quite intently.  HE WAS A STAR!  (And
Blaze was an awesome teacher!! ;-))

Aarene, as some of you may know, earns part of her living as a story
teller.  You may remember the humorous note she sent me about Billy
(Goooood Boooyyyy) learning to stand still.  The following is her account
(actually *Billy's* account) of our trip yesterday.  Enjoy. ;-)

Sue