Re: RC: National Championship Trails

At 04:34 PM 08/07/2000 -0600, renegade12@juno.com wrote:

>Hay at Vet Checks?  We have well over 20,000 AERC sanctioned miles in
>many different regions and have never attended a ride that had hay at the
>Vet Checks.  In fact, I would not want my horse eating strange hay during
>the ride.  The Vet Checks did have an abundance of grass, as did the
>entire 100 miles of trail.

As long as there was grass, then people should quit whining.

However, I'd like to say (to the inexperienced people out there)....that
the reason rides provide hay is because we have a lot of "away" vet checks
and oftentimes no crew access.  if RM doesn't provide hay, here is
*nothing* for the horses to eat.  And yes, we all do learn to carry food
for our horses but we have to be reasonable here.  The same for water --
that's why you hear us complain about people who rudely sponge and/or scoop
water out of drinking-water-only (for horses) troughs....there is only so
much to go around and you have to think about the next person (not just
yourself).

It just shows you how different the sport is from region to region.  Randy
hasn't been to rides that provide hay, and I haven't been to any that don't
(unless there is natural grass).  Tho, I've been at a few that provide hay,
but it didn't make it to the check in time.  @#$% happens.  Deal with it.

In either case, it's up to the rider to find out ahead of time -- is there
going to be hay supplied, is there grass for the horse to eat (and will
your horse eat it?), or do I need to make crew arrangements.  Even if you
don't have a crew you can usually find somebody to bring your stuff out for
you (if RM isn't doing it).

Last weekend I did the Morgan Springs 50.  My crew went to timbuktu (you'll
have to ask him where that is <G>...it wasn't near the vet check).  We had
a 43 mile loop out of camp for our first loop.  Well, the RM trailer wasn't
there either, so NO FEED.  It was okay, there was grass to eat and that's
what the horse wanted anyway.  We left the hour hold before my crew
arrived, and just after RM arrived with hay and everybody's crew
stuff.  You can't expect everything to go perfectly planned
everytime....that's what keeps things interesting.

Karen
in NV
http://members.xoom.com/ridephotos/