horses will find away or close call

I want to share with you a close call we had last week.
We were riding along the North Saskatchewan River. My young green mare
was standing beside Razi Daves gelding. When she brought her head up
after drinking she gave him a quick rub.
She put her head through his reins and tied herself to him.
It happened so fast. Realizing she couldn't get away she got a little
nervous. She started to move draggin him along towards deeper water.
Dave rides in roper style reins. I ride in split reins.
Lucky for us he can unbuckle them and released her before it became a
wreck. She was heading into deeper waters in her panic and they both
probably would have drowned. The reins and martigale were holding their
heads low.
I have heard of horses drowning when they get their leg through the
reins same reason can't get their head up.
Everytime you approach or cross water undo you reins.  Also I notice
riders using martigales and no stops.
Think safety. It only takes a second for the routine ride to become a
wreck.
I have a buckle and martingale stops on the reins I manufacture and
sell.
Safety first!!!!
Paddi Sprecher
Canadian Trail House