Re: RC: Excessive Urination?

--- Julienne Rha <Julienne.Rha.B@bayer.com> wrote:

> except for the fact that
> he urinates A LOT!   I'm talking about 3 times and
> sometimes 4 during the 3
> hours Bob takes him out (about 4 times a week).

O.K., but how does his corral look?  If he is in a
corral, is it half lake?  He may be losing
electrolytes enmass, if he has ever been treated with
cortisone.  I stole a black pony mare from a neighbor
that kept her in a dog pen and never used her.  I had
the notion that I would check her out for a mount for
my little girls.  She wouldn't tolerate a rider and
after a week of keeping her, the corral was half lake.
 She was covered with scabs from itching and I tried
everything I could to stop the itch and give her
relief.  She also went through a fifty pound block of
mineral salt faster than I had ever seen.  I had the
vet out and me stood around talking until she urinated
and he caught some.  She was losing electrolytes like
crazy.  The vet figured she had been treated with
cortisone to give her relief from the itch(she was
allergic to flies).  He said it ruined her kidneys.

> We've spoken
> about the situation with our vet and he says we can
> try him out on strong
> antibiotics for a few days to see if that helps
> (kind of a shot in the dark to
> clear out any sort of infection at all) or try and
> catch some urine and do a
> urinalysis screening to see if there is blood or any
> unusual values.

Do the UA first.  Much cheaper and antibiotics without
a culture these days is a NO NO.

Tavi
> will go in the middle of the barn aisle on the
> concrete floor.

Sounds like he is losing electrolytes.  Check it out.

Please let us know what you discover.

Thanks

=====
She