Arab brains

In a message dated 08/03/2000 4:07:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< New this year is the 'pretend to drink'
 trick. She puts her nose down to 1" above the creek, even if
 not thirsty, and will stand there (if permitted), head just
 above the water, "PRETENDING" to drink. >>

This is an old game to our horses.  We have lots of creeks to cross,
everywhere we ride, so they learn early about crossing water, etc.  They've
also learned the old "stall" tactic..."pretend to drink" or at least "wait,
wait, I'm thinking about drinking!"  I, too, give them just sooo long, and
then it's time to move on!  When the pawing starts, it's definitley time to
move on, as that water pawing stuff is often indicative of "I'm going to lie
down in the water".

Barbara