Re: Colfax Coal Rush Ride

Well, in spite of my limited experience, I too thought this ride was a
great time!  I rode 25 miles - didn't finish in time to complete, (had too
much horse at the start, and had to wait quite a while to start, and then
had a pokey mare with no interest cause everyone else was gone and she was
pretty darn sure I wasn't going where they went) but thoroughly enjoyed the
campsite, the scenery, and the food was fantastic.

Ralph spent who knows how much time refilling water tanks, and the awards
were really special - much thought and consideration went into every
detail.

No lines at vet checks (course when you're as slow as I was, maybe I just
missed the rush!  <g>)

Mary Heberling was first in the 25, and there was a BC award as well, which
she also achieved.  There were awards for best condition, best vet score
and time (even for LD).  Margaret (last name escapes me) was 4th in the 25.
 Lynn Cudlip and Mark Daily were (I think) 14 and 15 in the 50 and in great
shape as well.  We all had a great time.  The 17 milers had a blast too.

Dinner, New Mexico style, (no place like home!) Peach cobbler, ice cream
that tasted Home Made, gorgeous country, beautiful strong horses and happy
people. Uh huh!  Life is good.

Cel

----------
> From: Kathy Crothers <KC85124@UAFSYSB.UARK.EDU>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:       Colfax Coal Rush Ride
> Date: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 11:47 PM
>
> HI, am late getting this out but just wanted everyone to know what a
great ride
> Sue and Ralph Romero put on in New Mexico!!  The Colfax Coal Rush Ride
this
> year was a two day ride with 50 miles each day.  They also had a 17 mile
fun
> ride and a 25 ld ride on Sat. and had about 140 riders on Sat. overall.
Good
> going jeep roads and gradual climbs with scenic views everywhere!!  Lots
of
> wildlife and plenty of grass and water for the horses on trail.  The
trail was
> well marked and easy to follow.  Several of my friends from OCER were
there and
> we all had a great time.  Really nice awards and a nice meal after the
ride
> topped off each day.  I had a neat experience the Mon. after the ride of
coming
> up on the huge elk herd.   Was really something to see and hear 100 head
of elk
> crashing uphill through the timber.  Luckily my horse just froze and I
lived to
> tell about it.  HA!  The ride was held at the NRA Whittington Center and
was on
> private land.  What a nice group to let us have a ride there.  Thanks to
Sue