Re: RC: RE: Re: Qualifying for NC or Partners ride

> the qualifications are Top Five in your WEIGHT division and at ANY >
AERC> ride,

O.K. here's my take. It was WAY too easy this year.  It was status to say
"My horse is ROC Qualified", but how many people who do well to finish a
50 in 8 hours walked around this year saying "He's qualified for the
National Championships"?  I heard plenty. It was a joke. Who *didn't*
qualify?  I agreed that they needed to change it when they originally
only had one qualifying ride.  Ours was in Florida in the winter and I'll
be darned if I'm going to clip my horse, go down there and do 100 and
then make him suffer through an Appalachian winter with no hair.... but,
qualifying *everyone* made it meaningless.

If it's a "National Championship" here's my suggestion.  The horses who
are ranked in Endurance News in their weight division...this year *or*
last year are invited.  That way if you have it in August it doesn't
favor horses who got the jump on the season (in the SE the FLA horses
dominate the first half every year)  It doesn't favor horses who like one
particular course, but it doesn't invite everyone.  Now, you'll say, "But
instead of inviting 25 lightweights form the SE we only invite 6 that way
so it cuts down on entries.  Well...I don't think you got one this year
and probably had every LW in the SE qualified.  If I qualify this year
and think I may not be able to do it again next year or the next, I'll
think "this is the year to try".  If I know I can qualify any time I like
I may put it off.

So why didn't I go?  Well, if I'm not finishing the top LW in the SE, why
should I try to get crowned top LW in the country?  I didn't feel like I
deserved the recognition...so what if I got there and won first there?
Means nothing if I get beat at every local ride I go to.

Angie (just in from riding a semi-guided rocket for an hour! :-P)
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.