Re: Re: RC: AERC National Championships

Food for thought.  The success of the Tevis, the OD, the OT is consistency.
Consistent trails, organization, awards and rewards to each and every rider.
The lack of success with the AERC National Ride, not "champion" per se, but
a true one time great ride that CAN BE equal to the Tevis... is lack of
consistency.  The "Classic" concept could have worked but was thrown to the
dogs for the "trailer race, several rides, several small attended
championship dubbed rides" (as Barbara stated below)...that concept was
embarrassing at best.  Before this year's AERC National Event some people in
high places were talking changes in rules and qualifications after the fact;
again the lack of consistency.  Even the ROC, always changing in mid stream,
still was highly successful due to good promotion and giving the riders the
opportunity to chose to compete under consistent rules, regulations and
opportunity. Next years AERC Ride managers are already excited and
determined to develop this one time event into a East-Tevis.  Can we be
consistent and provide the opportunity for the membership to chose/support?
Give the East Side Folks the opportunity to be consistent and provide a
great National Event in the name of AERC.

The word "champion" is always abused and certainly defined as one chooses.
Everyone is a champion and what better way to recognize all endurance riders
by providing a one time "AERC National Championship RIDE".  Maybe if
everyone just eliminates the buzz word, "Championship" ??????  Whatever be
it "AERC National Heavyweight Rider" or "AERC National Finisher" its high
time the leading organization in the sport of long distance riding does
support, conduct and consistently promote the most successful and respected
one day event for its members!

Last week right here in Escalante a "Championship Mutton Busten" was held.
This is a big time once a year event that anyone can plan for, enter in and
go for the Championship.  Just because Mary Jones Sheep went lame before the
event and Johnny Jones big ol'ewe never placed because she faints doesn't
mean Timmy Tylers win makes him NOT a champion.  Tiny Timmy hung on to his
goat and crossed the line first!  Just because only 3 kids entered doesn't
mean the other 50 in town could not have tried or raced their muttons!
Doesn't make, break or define the word "Champion".  Wouldn't be surprised if
40 kids show up next County Fair, after all its the best show in town!

Give the concept a chance, and give those folks wanting to be consistent the
opportunity to manage a successful event without having to worry about a
new, yet another definition of "Champion"!!!
Food for thought.  Sharon