Re: RC: plateau in weight loss

In a message dated 07/31/2000 7:55:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lb@nismat.org
writes:

<< An
 800 - 1000 calorie diet is a very bad idea since it will encourage
 muscle breakdown, thereby decreasing the metabolically active
 tissue.  I wouldn't suggest a caloric intake of less than 1500 calories
 per day for an active woman, or 1800 calories per day for an active
 man during a diet.  Most of the women on this list probably require
 about 2000-2500 calories per day to maintain their normal weight,
 and they can expect to lose 1 lb weekly for each 500 calories they
 cut back daily.  If you design an exercise program I'd include some
 aerobic exercise [higher intensity rather than low], such as uphill
 walking or jogging, stair master, cycling etc all of which are useful
 ways to burn calories.  Add to that some weight training several
 days per week, or as Susan suggested, an activity that combines
 strength and aerobic fitness such as kick boxing and so forth.
 Good luck, and be kinder to yourself - 800 calories per day is self-
 abuse! >>

Thirteen years ago I went on a crash diet, about 1000 calories a day.  I lost
5# a week for 5 1/2 weeks, at which point I quit because I didn't feel well.
The resulting health problems, though not outwardly obvious, have been with
me ever since and will be for the rest of my life.  I don't recommend it to
anyone.  I weigh now more than is "ideal" but I'm strong, I feel good, and I
can still work some people into the ground.   Also, though I eat carefully, I
walk, ride, and work hard, I still can't lose weight.  But I'm not dieting
ever again. And BTW, I'm a senior in my upper 60s.

Barbara