Re: overweight an issue?

Tracey wrote:

> If you can give me his full names, or his initials, I can try to get his
> details for you from Onderstepoort.  Unfortunately, the Vet. Council has 14
> Viljoens listed, and not one has the initial L.  I think that "Loukie" may
> not be his proper name - not uncommon in South Africa for people to be
> called by obscure nicknames which they brought with them from Boy Scout
> Camp.

Hi Tracey,

I guess that Loukie is his/her proper name. I am not sure where he/she lives, if
he/she is a vet etc., but thanks for the try.

> Tracey
>
> PS  I have not read this study (nor, I confess, Susan's, although I'm
> gaining some idea from these posts), but can you tell me what kind of horses
> were involved in the study.  The reason I ask is that for a long time, South
> African riders had a choice between Boerperds, TBs, Arabs, TBs and TBs when
> it came to buying a horse.  It would be interesting to see when the study
> was done and with what horse.

As I have only limited data in the published study, I can't tell anything about
the horses. But remember, the initial study covers the period from 1975 to 1989,
with ALL data collected from EVERY long distance ride. So I am quite sure that
all kinds of horses were involved, not only one single breed.
Maybe the dad of Celeste can lighten up what is lacking here.

Happy trails,

Wolfgang
Germany