Re: RC: *ALERT*-Traveling w/horses to Kentucky?

Susan Swope-Attardi wrote:

> Kentucky Department of Agriculture Officials began cracking down in state in
> the month of July.  Please be aware that if you are attending a ride (horse
> show, trail ride, or just passing through for that matter), that state
> officials will be checking for both a negative coggins test (within 12
> months-unless going to sale, in which case it is 6 months) AND a 30 day
> veterinary health certificate.  You will need BOTH of these documents or you
> will not be permitted entrance to the event you are wishing to attend.  In
> addition, if pulled over in route, you may well be escorted to the state
> line.  Granted, these things should go without saying when traveling with
> horses, but at a recent Kentucky ride, ride several out-of-state riders did
> not have health certificates and the state officials were quite serious
> about their job.  Thankfully, Ride Management and Head Vet Duane Barnett,
> DVM was able to smooth things over quickly.  Duane performed health checks
> to the satisfaction of officials, who watched with a critical eye and did,
> indeed, issue written "warnings."  (Try as they might... the fun was not
> spoiled, the official was quickly put in the back of folks minds and the
> ride went right on and a good time was had by all! ;)
>
> Ride managers be forewarned... I have no idea whether or not this is a
> reflection of things to come in other states, or if, indeed, things are this
> strict in other states and we have been spoiled here; but, we were told by
> the officials that in the future we must state clearly on our ride forms
> that both of these documents would be required along with the details and
> that officials WILL be present and checking before horses come off of the
> trailer.  I've been to numerous rides around the country in which state
> requirements were not mentioned on literature, and in my opinion, when
> traveling with horses it is the responsibility of the person behind the
> wheel to have the proper documentation when crossing state lines, but, this
> is what we were told and we will, indeed, comply in the future.  Here are
> some excerpts from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture website:
>
> 1) General requirements.
> (a) All horses and other equidae entering Kentucky shall be accompanied by a
> Certificate of Veterinary Inspection except horses and other equidae
> purchased at an approved out-of-state horse sale. Certificate shall include
> all tests that have been conducted as well as all vaccinations including
> vaccination date and type of vaccine used.
>
> b) Attached to the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection shall be a copy of a
> certificate of report from a laboratory approved by the USDA showing the
> animal(s) to be negative to an AGID test or other USDA approved test for
> equine infectious anemia.
>
> and...
>
> 3. All horses and other equidae six (6) months of age or older, except
> [...]

Thanks, Susan.

I was there and felt the entire scene a joke....not that one should not carry
these papers, but that it is random. I had a long talk with the ag inspector and
he said the state only has five of them.  I have been pulled over many times on
the road (as I live near KY) and always had my paperwork or no horses.  I was
told (not confirmed) that there is also a $250 fine associated with
non-compliance.

Again, the good guys (us) suffer for the negligence of the riff-raff who don't
give a damn.....

--
Teddy Lancaster
American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill