Re: biopsy

In a message dated 7/27/00 8:25:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Agreed about bloodwork---so, help me out, Tom.  At Swanton, we're going to
 collect for e'lytes, blood gases, glucose, enzymes, lactates, insulin, FFAs,
 cortisol, and maybe glucagon.  Also hematocrit, RBCs, WBCs, total proteins
 and the rest of the usual CBC panel stuff.  Plus rider weight, equine
 weight, condition score and digital photos to potentially analyze for joint
 angles and bone lengths, etc if I can get the software to work.  All of this
 before the ride, at 35 and 69 miles and after the finish.

 What would *you* add to the analysis parameters, given I can't do biopsies?
 (Seriously).

 Susan G >>

Looks like you've got the blood covered. Ketones might be useful. Sure would
be nice to get an actual adipose tissue measurement of some kind.
Bilirubin/monocytes/AST should be looked at closely for an
overtrained/underfed condition. Resting pulse, if remotely possible to get
under those circumstances. Usual vet check.

Shoe types/pads would be interesting. 2 lbs down there is worth 10-15 above.
If you take pics, conformational-style would be good. Hoof angles and toe
lengths--you can go to a builder's supply and get a roofer's  "angle finder"
for taking quick hoof angles.

If you send me a copy of the raw data, I promise I'll read it.

ti