biopsy

I shouldn't think that the pre-ride biopsies would need to be done
immediately before the ride, a couple of days before should still give a
good picture of the horse's pre-ride metabolic state.  A carefully-done
biopsy should have no effect on his/her performance after a short
recovery period.  Yes, it requires an owner/rider willing to accept a
little risk in the interest of science, but this sport is filled with
folks who are knowledgeable, curious, and take risks.  Some will likely
agree to participate.

John & Dancer (sorry, haven't done a 100 yet!)