Re: RC: RE: FYI

In a message dated 7/26/00 3:15:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
johnp@lpsi.barc.usda.gov writes:

<< This is a great discussion, but you are losing me here.  What is "GL"?>

Sorry, Glycogen Loader.

 >Are you saying that a 10% fat diet is primarily a carbohydrate-based
 training diet?  Does this level of fat (soybean oil, I believe) in Enduro
 load fat?>

Well, it's still a carb-based diet, but 10% fat is starting to get into the

  >I realize that the amount of this diet fed, relative to the
 total diet (including roughage), is what important (I think I've read in
 Lew Hollander's book that 10% of the TOTAL diet is needed for fat
 cannot estimate his total diet, but it is obvious that if the concentrate
 portion is 10% fat then the percent fat in the total diet must be much,
 much lower.  Rice bran is 20% fat, but my guy does his best to sift it
 out of what he eats, so that does not add substantial fat to his diet.
 At 800 lbs, carrying a heavyweight rider, I must put a lot of energy in
 to keep him from being thin.  How do I achieve the proper amount of fat
 to supply intramuscular triglycerides?>

In theory, first by using a low fat diet in training and challenging the fat
supply. Then by loading fat and causing supercompensation of myscle
triglyceride stores. What it takes to accomplish this in a horse is unknown.
In humans, a up to a 40% fat diet is
used.

> John in MD

ti