Re: RC: Re: Re:overweight an issue? - Weight vs. lean mass

Susan Garlinghouse wrote:

> That may work on the treadmill, but under real conditions at a 100-mile race
> (where it really counts), it doesn't.  We didn't measure individual heart
> rates, but if the horses carrying a heavier rider were at a disadvantage in
> recoveries (which, following your theory, they should be), then it follows
> that out of several hundred horses, a trend should have showed up, putting
> the horses with the heavier riders lower in the placings, lower in
> completion rate, fewer miles before a pull or *something*.  We didn't see
> that, and believe me, I looked.  It might show up in shorter, faster races,
> where energetics are a little different, but didn't at Tevis.  The only
> effect we saw with weight had to do with effect on lameness, but that's a
> biomechanical disadvantage, unrelated to metabolism.
>
> Susan G

Hi Susan and others,

I have to step in here again. We had this discussion some months ago. I have a
study, made from 1974 to 1989 by Dr. Loukie Viljoen (President of ERASA -
Endurance Ride Association of South Africa). It is called "Investigastion of the
influence that weight has on the endurance horses over distances of 80 km an
further" ans was published in the ELDRIC-yearbook 1990. This study covers a
total of 6408 records in the range of 73 to 125 kg rider weight (a total of more
than 12.000 entries at all). Some highlights of this study: average as well as
winning speed decreases with an increase of rider weight (for the Top Ten 1 km/h
loss for every 11.21 kg, for the Top Three 1 km/h for every 8.89 kg), chance of
winning also decreases with the increase of weight (a 73 kg rider has a 1.155%
chance of winning whereas a rider of 125 kg has no chance (of all the 6408
records)). The study is a very represantative one, with collecting data over a
long period of time (15 years), with variantions in terrain, weather, distance,
age of rider etc. All rider and horse details are recorded, as well as all
veterinary details (HR) etc.
So one can come to the conclusion that weight does matter, especially if you go
for Top Ten or winning.
If one is interested in the study, I can scan and email it, I did this before
and it's going to be a rather big file.

Wolfgang + Ninja 11
Germany