Re: Tevis (long)

Patty pssrs@aol.com

One of the most refreshing aspects of the Western States Ride is that it IS open to anyone!  You do not have to be an endurance rider to participate.  do NOT have a "competitive" distance backround.  In my opinion, it takes an equestrian with "good horse sense" which includes good judgement and good horsemanship plus a little luck to complete the ride.  There are several "pleasure" riders that may never attend an endurance ride that fit this description.  Think of the riders who may "pack" with their animals on trails very similar to the Western States...their experience with a pack string may be much more useful on a ride like this than the typical endurance rider.  There are trail riders I know that have animals that are more than capable of handling the trail and the distance and yet they have never competed in an endurance event.  compete. I think that the Western States Trail Foundation gives a great description of the demands and difficulties of the event in its handbook -

Amen,  From someone who hs crewed at Tevis but not ridden it, but has packed over one hundred of miles on the PCT.  I believe that I would be way more prepared for this ride (mentally and physically) than the majority of experienced endurance riders.
Patty