RC: overweight an issue?

>yep, but I've seen some women with big ol' hips still hanging in there
>after 100 and some who look like society's version of "fit" (as in
>skinny) passed out after 25.

Warning: possibly un-PC statements ahead (it's so hard to keep track of
what offends).

I have a "weeble" theory. I think it's easier for a person with a *ahem*
lower center of gravity to ride balanced and centered. My weight is
proportionate to my height and I am at a good level of fitness. I've
been blessed with extraordinary balance, but I have one of those shall
we say, not so curvy frames (opposite of a "weeble"). It's been a bit of
a challenge, but I've finally attained an independent and balanced seat
after many, many hours in the saddle. Meanwhile, I see plenty of
"weebles" going down the trail comfortably and it sure looks like they
don't have to work as hard as I do. I recently vet recorded a CTR ride
and the same number of "weebles" bring their horses in absolutely sound
and with no back soreness as non-weebles.

Weren't there some studies about how weight affects the horse in an
aerobic situation vs. anaerobic? As in distance vs. short sprint? As in,
weight isn't as big of a factor as one might think.

I think it's great that distance riding has a way of "doing in" the
malnourished and under-conditioned among us — and that's on both ends of
the weight spectrum. The rider must be able to take care of themselves
first to be capable of taking care of a horse as well.

Deanna (Ohio)