Re: Re: Jihad's first 50!

> electrolited on trail, and "drank like a fish". All he wanted at the 5 vet
> checks was the bran mash, or hay at lunch,

    I am always very careful about letting my horse eat too much bran mash
at a ride. First I do not think his diet should change during a ride, so
does he get this much bran at home?  Second I think the bran can lead to an
increased risk of impaction colic. (true anyone?)
   I was at BVS also, and yes my horse wanted the bran more than the hay,
but I wouldn't let him have very much of it.   I also worry that the bran
will bind up the calcium and he will get thumps.  Is this reasoning correct
anybody?    We electrolyted the usual amount, 1 ounce pre ride, 2 ounces at
lunch, 1 ounce at the finish, (enduromax) works for us, I know some
electrolyte more, I just haven't found it necessary.

Jim