From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 5:16 PM
Subject: RC: Re:Tevis

> Carol kamikazearabs@hotmail.com
> Dreamweaver obviously does not agree with me. However you
>  must admit that Tevis is not a ride for amatuers! Sure
> some novices with no experience will make it through, if
> they have a good horse and a good crew. But don't you
> think there would be a higher completion rate overall if
> these riders and horses have already proven they can successfully complete
a long distance ride. Don't you think
> it takes a little experience to know when your horse is nearing
> its' limit?And if you look at the top ten finishers, these are not
novices, mostof them are people who are experienced endurance riders who
know this trail and ride it all the time.
> It is no accident that they finished where they did. Sure other
experienced riders did not finish due to some bad luck ,one misstep and a
horse can pull a muscle. But overall you must admit it would be better for
the riders to have some kind
> of experience before attempting this ride. By the way 72
> riders from California finished the ride vs. 45 from out
> of state. I have actually heard a person say "Oh, I was
> out riding my horse and some guy who was an endurance rider
> said my horse would make a great endurance horse."This
> person subsequently entered her 5 yr. Arabian in the Tevis!
> With no endurance knowledge whatsoever,about electrolytes, conditioning,
or what the trail was like! Luckily she