Re: RC: Ride Managers..HEART OF OUR SPORT..

In a message dated 07/24/2000 9:55:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
twoodcock@lendleaserei.com writes:

<< I've volunteered at one ride (out-timing is definitely as stressful as
riding),
 helped mark/clear trail at the same ride and the one before it at the same
 location, and quickly realized that I have not the organization skills
needed to
 manage a ride. >>

You learn!  There is a Ride Managers' Handbook for reference and guidelines
(and a revised version due out when I can finish it and send it to the RM
committee for suggestions, corrections, additions, etc.)  You work at it, you
improve each year, you ride someone else's ride and think "gosh, I
appreciated that nice touch" and then you incorporate it into your own ride,
you observe all the ommissions in this year's effort and resolve to include
them in next year's ride.....and on and on.  Too many riders say to me, "I
don't want to put on a ride (or vet it, or help with it), I want to RIDE it."
 Well, there are times when I wish I could ride a ride, too, ANY ride.  I
think ALL riders should pay their dues and manage at least one ride, or
volunteer to help someone else manage THEIR ride.  After awhile, everyone
suffers burnout....vets, ride managers, and volunteers.  New blood is NEEDED!
 Think about it.

Barbara