Re: RC: Ride Managers..HEART OF OUR SPORT..

In a message dated 07/24/2000 7:23:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< To be a well rounded "endurance rider" one should do
 ALL aspects of the sport. Managing a ride is the heart
 of our sport. No rides, no sport. >>

I'm a firm believer in this concept!
We have managed rides constantly since 1975.  When I hear the rare rider
complain about some little thing, I think "try ride management to get a true
perspective on all aspects of this sport".
Ride managers put on rides for the pleasure of others.  There isn't enough
monetary compensation to offset the worry, anxiety (wake up in the middle of
the night and think "what have I forgotten?" and then get up and make lists
so you'll remember in the morning), the sometimes brutal hard physical work,
and the time taken away from conditioning your own horse so you can ride
someone else's ride (if it doesn't coincide with the day you have to flag
your trail).  All this and then have only a handful of riders sign up for
your ride.  We've been there and done that.
The bottom line is....ride managers don't mind the hard work and concern IF
the riders come to the ride.  But when riders say, "I LOVE your ride, it's my
very favorite" and then they don't show up.....the ride manager feels, why
bother?  And then.....another ride disappears from the calendar.  Not all
rides can be another "legend" like Tevis, which turns away riders each year
and starts its sign-up for the following year one month after the finish of
the previous one.
Come on folks, support your local rides and ride managers, or you will find
Tevis your only choice, and they have a limit of riders accepted.

<<That all said:  I want to encourage
everyone to support new rides by entering them, so these
new R.M.'s WANT to perservere and continue year after year
to have events.>>

A little support for the older rides doesn't hurt, either, and for the same
reason.

Barbara