Endurance and Dressage

I know some of you take dressage lessons on you endurance horses...

My dressage coach saw Roo for the first time Saturday.  (Previously I rode her
Percheron(!) for my lessons)  She thinks Roo is "wasted in endurance" and wants
to actively start campaigning him in Training Level this fall.  She thinks he is
the smartest horse she's ever seen.  (I wanted to tell her that it's because she
usually only works with WB's and draft crosses, but I didn't. <g>)  I want to
"do" endurance as our priority, but would be more than willing to do the
dressage circuit if it doesn't interfer with endurance.  And if I can find a
dressage saddle, white breeches, etc. in my extremely cheap price range.

Anyone actively show dressage on their endurance horses?  Does the required
"ring" time interfer with conditioning?  I don't like to do a bunch of schooling
on the trail.  The trail is supposed to be fun for both of us, and very low
stress.  And contrary to what the local dressage riders think, the hour in the
ring is not enough cardio work for either Roo or me. <g>

Those of you who do this, have you noticed your horse being able to tell (by
what tack you use or something else) if this is a dressage day or a trail day?
And do you just let them go in whatever "frame" they want on the trail, and
still get them to collect/extend/come on to the bit/etc on demand in the ring?
I would hate to have to worry about form all the time on the trail as I ride
with completely loose reins and just let the horse move in whatever mode is
comfortable for him.

Tamara