Re: RC: Re: Safe starts at races...

>Well, I would like to hear what RMs have to say about safe starts,
>but also what individuals do to increase their own safety.
>
>Bonnie near Prescott, AZ

Hi, Bonnie,

Having a safe assembly area, where horses can spread out while
waiting for the start.
Making sure it's wide enough for riders to pass each other at first,
avoiding accidents, or having a controlled start if it's not.
Insuring that the start procedure is covered in the ride meeting.
Taking numbers 15 minutes ahead of the start.
Using glow sticks for the first bit ridden in the dark.

We particularly have to light our singletrack trail beyond the first
river crossing, because our vegetation forms tunnels hiding any
sunlight.

Lynne

Ontario, California    http://www.lynnesite.com
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00