Froze my butt off

OK, I'll try it again............

Damn, Osceola was cold.  I had no idea that northern Florida could be so
nasty.  I'm talking 20's at night.  Haven't felt that kind of cold since I
lived with my ex-wife.

If you were there and didn't see me, that's cause I was in my tent.  Before I
left my warm abode in central Florida I had stopped by Wal-Mart and purchased
two of those propane heater attachments ($18.95) you screw on to the propane
bottles, bought six bottles of the gas ($3.95 for 2), and man was I glad I
did.  Anyway, I took off those warning tags attached to the heaters saying
"DO NOT USE INDOORS, INCLUDING IN YOUR TENT.  IF YOU DO YOU WILL DIE CAUSE
THIS DEVICE SUCKS OUT ALL THE OXYGEN IN YOUR TENT.  YOU WILL DIE"

I thought that was rather a stern warning, but it was sooooooo darn cold I
just did not care.  So, I opened the flaps exposing my window type tent
openings and lit the heaters.  Both of them, wishing I had bought a couple
more.  After awhile I was able to take off my parka, my ear muffs, and one of
the three sweaters I was wearing.  Problem was, I was afraid to leave my
heaters unattended, sooooooooo I sent the kid out to attend all the meetings
and do the leg work.  I wasn't leaving this tent for nothing but the ride.

And drinking cold beer is not a great idea when it's so darn cold outside.
But atleast I didn't have to make an ice run.  I was able to boil water in my
tent by putting a kettle over the heaters.  Add some wine, rum, and a little
sugar and you have a hot toddy.

Anyhow, my daughter and I survived the ride.  The kid and her Arab gelding
are ready for a 50; unfortunately her Dad has yet to find a horse that can do
that kind of mileage.  Poor kid will be stuck in the LD mode until I find an
Arab or Arab cross that I can stand to ride.  She's considering starting her
own web site begging for sponsors in her quest to be the next Valerie Kanavy
by the year 2020.

BTW, she did win the junior 25 LD, inspite of the fact her old man's horse
got pulled and we had to find another sponsor.  I think I followed the rules
properly and notified management of the change, but it was sooooo cold I'm
not sure anyone wrote it down (they didn't want to take their hands out of
their gloves to grab the pen).

I did see Steph Teeter at the ride and even got a chance to say hello.  I
noticed the infamous gatekeeper of RideCamp because her horse had Idaho
plates attached to the rear.  Steph, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk
with you, but I'm sure you understand cause of HOW DAMN COLD IT WAS.

cya,
Howard