RC: Re: 3 seconds of death

Here is the quote from Lyons' book (from a member of the natural
horsemanship list).  I disagree totally with this method of dealing with a
horse, but then that's just me.  Even though Lyons is an expert in the
field and I am not,  it is my feeling that if a human did this to another
human (threatened with death then was lovey dovey - isn't this a recognized
form of brainwashing?), it would be interpreted as abuse and somewhat
psychotic.  I don't see why it's OK to do it to animals.

I don't care if the horse has bit or is trying to bite - Lyons' method
doesn't address the issue of where this behavior came from.  So you get the
horse to believe it will die if it tries to bite again - but if it bit
because of fear, how does this prevent the fear from being acted out
another way?  Bottling up bad behavior isn't my idea of good training, but
like I said, I'm not the expert.  Lif

"THE THREE SECOND RULE

While we're talking about losing our temper, I'll tell you about my
three-second rule.

The horse never ever has the right to kick or bite you.  Biting is more
dangerous than kicking because it is  a more aggressive act on the horse's
part.  you can't ever justify that action in your mind.

I don't want to be bitten.  If the horse tries to bite me, I try to KILL
him.  His act is that dangerous and my rule is that simple.  I have three
seconds in which to KILL this thousand pound beast.  The only limitation
I'll put on the murder, is that his head will be off limits.  Remember, I
don't want to blind him, I want to KILL him.  Immediately after I've
exhausted the three seconds, I'll pet him to reassure him that I still like
him, but he knows that he made a serious mistake that almost cost him his
life.

The word pet is important here.  Pet, or rub, or stroke you horse.  Do not
slap him.  Slapping is an aggressive gesture to the horse.  Also do not
lightly touch the horse.  Horses are ticklish and find this annoying.
Remember to always pet and reassure the horse after you have invoked the
three second rule.

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   http://www.fasterhorses.com
   Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * WebArt * Fine Art
Nutrition and alternatives for self-reliant people
Quemado, NM  USA