RC: slant load vs straight load

This is Jennifer, not to be confused with David!  We own a four horse
Ponderosa stock trailer (step up).  Our horses have always loaded easily
into it, and they prefer to ride facing the rear of the trailer.  This
would be difficult if not impossible in a slant load.  They also like to
unload by walking forward out of the trailer.  The open slats at the top
make the trailer very airy and well ventilated, which was a BIG concern in
the hot and humid Southeast where we used to live, but not necessarily
important in the wet, relatively cool Pacific Northwest where we now
reside.  In all fairness, it can sometimes be a pain when we trailer in the
cool, wet winter, however, if we were planning on trailering long or often
in those conditions we could (and would) have plexiglass inserts made for
the openings.  We also use our 4-horse trailer as a 2-horse trailer most
often - it allows for each horse to have the equivalent of a box stall when
travelling by just closing the middle partition.  The times that we have
hauled 3 or 4 horses and they've had to 'share' their 'stalls' have been
uneventful - I agree with whomever it was that mentioned they like to feel
another horse instead of a metal divider.  Another important point is that
I believe that this type of trailer is closer to the inexpensive end of the
scale.  I also suggest rubber mats on the floor of whatever trailer you use
- never plain wood since wood is a slippery surface.  Of course, everyone
has their own opinions on this subject, and these are simply mine. . .  ;-)

At 04:38 PM 1/15/00 -0800, you wrote:
>"Wisdom" has it that slant loads are best for the horses but I'm not so
>sure.  We have a 4 horse stock trailer, straight load, no ramp.  All of
>our horses have always been easy loaders and good travelers.  I think
>how you drive is really the most important issue.  I don't like those
>rear tack rooms.  They make getting in and out a real problem and
>several of my friends or their horses have been hurt by this kind of set
>up.  A stock trailer is light and airy and you can always take the
>dividers out if you want to loak on a slant.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com