RC: Re: carbs and heart rate

Sylvia,

I believe the amount of grain fed, as most everything else, depends on the
individual horse. My big arab, 15.3, is eating 13 lbs of feed (7# Farr Legacy
and 5# Kwik--complete pelleted ration) per day (3 separate feedings). He is
currently gaining weight on this amount, but when cut back, he will probably eat
between 8-10 lbs feed per day.
He has access to pasture and/or hay 24/7; unfortunately he just seems to be a
"hard" keeper. Either that, or he has the metabolism of a hummingbird!!
I have yet to find a type of hay (other than alfalfa) that he will really chow
down; thence the larger portions of grain.

Laura,
N. Fla.