RC: Alabama Anglo-Arabs - just got home with my new horse

Don't know if any of you saw the post about the Anglo Arabs in Alabama,
but since I did get one I would like to let you know that he is
wonderful!  Unfortunately the trip was not so good (really long drive for
me and my truck broke down).  But the horses hauled wonderfully, well,
once we got them loaded.  For those who might be going to pick up one of
these horses, they are barely handled at all.  In other words, bring
drugs and be prepared to have problems loading even then.  If anyone
wants details I would be happy to discuss specifics with those who need
to know.

About my gelding: he is at least 15.1 hands, judging by how high he hits
me compared with my 14.3 hand mare.  One of the other people who bought
horses and hauled with me says he looks 15.2 to her.  Since he is only 4
and has not had proper nutition for much of his life, he might even grow
a hair more.  I remember another anglo-arab mare we used to own that grew
at his age.  Although to tell the truth I would be quite happy if he
didn't grow an inch.  15.1 is plenty tall enough for me!  He is flea
bitten grey with a charcoal mane and tail.  His front legs are darn near
perfect.  His hind legs look a bit close, but that could be lack of
muscling in the hind quarters.  He has a nice long neck with plenty of
arch to it and a plain, for an Arab, but great for any other bred kind of
head.  His back looks very strong to me.  Nice coupling, long hip.  Lets
see what am I forgetting ... oh, his shoulder is nice, but not overly
laid back.  His legs are clean, but he has some scratches that are almost
healed from some scrape he got into.  And he moves beautifully with a
nice long free stride, even after all of that hauling and being on a
strange farm for the first time in his life.  The lady I traveled with
bought his dam (PB Arab) and his full brother who was born last
September, so he is only 4 months old.  I have to relate this one story
and then I'll close, I promise.  We put the mare and foal in a lot with
my gelding for the night.  It was the only really safe place we had to
leave them for the night except for the trailer because we didn't want
them too close to the other horses.  Well, the mare was making him stay
away from her and that foal was watching her behavior.  Next thing we
knew he was bucking up at the gelding and even charged him a couple of
times.  Now remember that this is a 4 month old colt and a 4 year old
gelding.  The gelding just moved out of the way, no bid deal.  The next
morning when we fed the colt decides that he should eat the gelding's
food.  Well, the gelding calmly backed his ears at him and continued
eating.  He didn't even move a hoof!  Yep, he gets points in my book for
disposition.

Karen H.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.