RC: Re: Stallion behavior

In a message dated 1/17/00 8:37:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< Pat Super wrote:
 >I remember vividly the horror stories I have heard from experienced "old
 >cowboys" of the viciousness of the attacks that stallions are capable of.
 >I have heard them tell that a stallion can be extremely unpredictable >>

Actually, stallions are extremely predictable, for the most part--if you are
observant enough to know what to predict!  If one gets to know an individual
stallion, one pretty much knows if he is a rogue or a gentleman, and if he is
a rogue, you pretty well get to know what his battle preferences are.  There
is a simple solution for the true rogues--castration!!  But if one is
experienced with stallions, one can pretty well tell what the horse is going
to do by the body language.  And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know
that if you let nature take its course without your becoming the
psychological alpha horse, the stallion will flirt, tease, squeal, strike,
and do all those things that stallions do at liberty.

As for the "old cowboys" (or should I call them wannabe cowboys, because the
good ones knew better)--those that subscribed to the "whip 'em every morning"
philosophy often had embittered stallions just waiting for an opportunity,
and it is no wonder that the stallions attacked if the so-called cowboys let
their guard down for an instant.  In many such cases, the injuries to the
people are deserved.

Just a note--but have you ever noticed how peaceful a herd is when there is a
REALLY good alpha mare in charge?  There is virtually NO physical discipline
necessary at all, because each horse knows their place and what is expected
of them.  That should be the goal of the alpha person as well.

Heidi