RC: Stallions

Hi everyone
Fascinating reading the posts this subject has thrown up.  We've got away rather from the original problem of a horse with an irritating but not life-threatening habit, to talking about seriously abused halter horses.  The MO required for dealing with the latter must be so totally different.  I hope I never have to deal with this sort of emotional baggage in a horse!

I still maintain that (in a perfect world) the best solution is to deal strictly but firmly with the colts whilst they're still at a stage when you can "stare them down"

Stallions are usually unpredictable (as Bette points out) when they're aroused. On a lot of studs all the stallions are housed 'together' in stables.  This might be a practical solution but it must put great psychological pressure on the stallions.

At home our Polish stallion will only put up with certain other horses in "his" part of the barn.  He is certainly happier with a mare next door to him than another entire.  In fact with visiting mares to him we always stable the mare next door.  Then he tells us when she's on-heat so we don't have to tease her systematically every day which is such a pain for all concerned.

I agree with Bette in that in a lot of situations being a loud-mouth gets you a long way.  I don't kid myself that my stallions "love" me and I don't look for that, but I do believe they respect me and understand that there is behaviour that is acceptable and behaviour that is not.  In return I will cater to their every needs so they are happy and comfortable.  I try not to put myself in a situation where a direct challenge is necessary but I can see that if ever I inherit an older horse with a dubious history this day might come.

I like to think that the way I deal with them means that if it comes to the crunch they might just hear my voice and think twice before indulging in some unacceptable behaviour.

Keep the ideas coming!

Heather

PS  Wanted to clarify a comment I made in an earlier post about "horse whisperers" before someone jumps on me from a great height.
I said I wasn't a great believer in them.  This isn't to say I don't respect their ideas.  I am impressed by M Roberts but don't see any improvement in his methods over traditional methods with WELL HANDLED YOUNG HORSES.
There is a guy in UK, Richard Maxwell who has taken a lot of M Robert's methods and adapted them on a more practical level.  I like the way he works.
Only know about J Lyons by what I've read.  Ditto P Parelli but like the way he works.