RC: Re: Re: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

In a message dated 1/16/00 10:09:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< You also have to have "traveling papers" in NM & some other states - here
 it's a card you have to carry with you when your horse is off your
 property.  In order to get one of the cards, the horse has to be inspected
 by the brand inspector.  No brand, no card.  >>

If so, that's different than in other states--generally, a horse need not be
branded to get a brand inspection and a card.  Here in Oregon, brand
inspection is standard procedure, and one can get temporary slips or for more
$$, a permanent card.  We get the cards on those that we plan to haul very
much, and just the temporary slips on those making an occasional trip (such
as a broodmare going out to breed, or one that is sold, or whatever).  Very
few of our horses are branded (those that are have Registry freeze brands on
the neck); we've thought a lot about branding but just haven't done it.  The
lack of a brand does not stop us from getting brand inspections--the
inspector comes out and does a complete description of the horse INCLUDING
the fact that he has no brand (actually, now they take photos which go on the
cards instead of the old drawings) and his physical description including
markings, scars, etc., becomes the basis for ID'ing him.

Heidi