RC: Re: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

Out of curiousity, I read the NM livestock code.  Open range defines who
has the burden of fencing, but does not provide rights to graze on unfenced
land.

Livestock owned by someone *without* the actual right to have the animal(s)
on the unfenced land (i.e., the livestock owner is *not* the person who is
paying the grazing fee or who owns the land) can actually be considered to
be straying.  This prevents everyone from just dumping their livestock on
any unfenced land they feel like, such as what my neighbor is doing.

A stray can be reported and picked up by authorities - the NM codes provide
info on how this is handled.   I believe the CA laws are similar.

Of course, reporting a horse or other critter as a stray when you have
already got a bad relationship with the animal's owner has its own
repercussions - I know this for a fact!  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   http://www.fasterhorses.com
   Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * WebArt * Fine Art
Nutrition and alternatives for self-reliant people
Quemado, NM  USA