Re: RC: Re: Horses requiring vet care at Tevis

In a message dated 7/21/00 11:54:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DVeritas@aol.com writes:

<<  As Joan stated, the manner in which some DVM's approach horses in
 metabolic stress is fluid (no pun intended) in nature.  Their concern is for
 the horse and how it will come out of the situation, not in appearances.
The
 remote nature of some rides and the availability of horse ambulances and
 distances to vet hospitals have to factor into whether to IV a horse or
 not...with erring on the safe side the prudent move.
     I didn't like the appearance of the IV Bags at the vet checks either,
but
 prefer that to a horse in trouble unable to get rehydrated when a vet could
 provide it.
     I've never needed a horse IV'd at an endurance race, but should I,  I'd
 hope it was available.
     The "stigma" of providing an IV bag to horse should never outweigh
taking
 care of the horse at the vet check, if possible. >>

Well put, Frank, and worth a quote for review here...

Heidi