RE: Re: Re: Horses requiring vet care at Tevis

Sorry, but I must disagree with your statement in it's entirety. The
intention of having the Vets at the ride is not to be able to treat the
horses but to assure the horses are in fit condition to start the ride,
continue the ride and to complete the ride in a fit condition. There is no
provision for the treatment of horses with in the AERC Rules and
Regulations.

There is a provision for the regulation of riders that have horses requiring
treatment at rides but it is not enforced except at the lowest
level.(pulling at a vet check or denial of completion at the finish)
Continued incidents of treatment being required could be considered by some
as abuse. I quote from the AERC Rules and Regulations preamble; "the
competitor is ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and
after an endurance ride"

IT IS NOT UP TO THE VET TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HORSE OR FIX YOUR MISTAKES.

Yes, there is the occasional crash that is a surprise, but the incident of
treatment is far beyond that parameter at many rides. I venture to say that
many of the treatments are occasioned by the rider ego and reluctance to
admit their ignorance of how the horse is feeling.

Flame on, but these observations are based on twenty five years of endurance
riding with the best(and poorest)of riders in the country.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID