Donte/Vet results

Well, Dr. Foss called me last night. Donte's prognosis is
guarded at best. Apparently last summer when he was stung
by the yellow jackets, that started a chain of events. He
appears to be allergic to some degree and either the sting
happened near the joint and there was some kind of
reaction, or in kicking out, trying to remove the bee, he
damaged that fetlock joint. Anyway, the tendon sheath
appears fine, but there is massive scar tissue that is
binding up that area. I will probably not describe this
correctly, but stuff that should be inside is now outside.
Not just fluid, but tissue. Dr. Foss consulted a vet in
California and although he could do surgery, there is no
guarantee that it would help at all. His thinking is to try
rest, rest and more rest. At least 3 months in stall/run,
avoiding alot of activity, cortizon injection,
anti-inflammatories, MSM/Chrondoitin/Glucosamine (any help
on the best buy/brand would be great!) grass hay, no grain
and handwalking so he doesn't get bored and go crazy. He
mentioned something about a light therapy thing, anyone
know exactly what they do and where one could get access to
them? Then, if he has improved at all, then more rest until
spring when I MAY be able to start riding him again.
Endurance is basically out. At least anything over 25
miles. I may end up with a good trail horse afterwards,
which I'll take!!! Rick said I could ride Classy this
summer/whenever. He's busy with boys/house/job, so that
works out. At least I can get my riding fix. I have a
friend who has generously offered a stall/run with not alot
of comings/goings at her barn, where he can hopefully
recuperate. I will still be at Klickitat probably riding
Classy. So, I am trying to be optomistic and not cry.

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~